Monday, September 26, 2011

You Don't Eat No Meat?

                                         A scene from the film, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"

Saturday I went to a local comedy show, and the comedian spoke about his wife who is a vegetarian. Once he said the word "vegetarian," the audience began to boo.  Then he asked the vegetarians in the audience to raise their hands.  I guess I wimped out, but I wasn't going to raise my hand and be assaulted with the angry glares of adamant meat-eaters.

Why are some people so adverse to and offended by those of us who choose not to consume meat?  This isn't the first time I've been put in the situation where my admitting I don't eat red meat or poultry was like wearing the scarlet letter  "A."  Well in this case, "V," and maybe it should be in green.  Most vegetarians I know don't go around preaching on soap boxes.  It's a lifestyle choice, which might not be for everyone.

Every Monday is Meatless Monday.  An initiative of The Monday Campaigns Inc. in conjunction with the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health Center for a Livable Future, Meatless Monday is a global movement to improve physical health and environmental health by encouraging people to not eat meat on Mondays -- the typical beginning of the work week.

Maybe if we can all be vegetarian for a day, there would be a lot less veggie hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment